An afternoon, downtown


A drowsy afternoon without any prospect of improvement.  Alcohol and solitude mix together bitterly.
Now the dry, sunburnt pain has grown so vast and volatile, it’s caught up with me even in this rumbling downtown café.
Even rock ‘n’ roll sounds like death.  The dusk is poisoning my sight.  I cannot be saved.  The terror of night can only be reluctantly postponed.
#
“It hurts to be awake.”
        -stolen, from Moody.  Precisely.  I go to sleep at night, struggling to shed today; I beg the world to leave me alone, until another day.
        To breath is effortless, but to live is so hard.
        #
        While my dreams are bursting at the seams, my pages are blank.  If to dream is to escape, why not escape by writing, in consciousness as well?
        #
        I used to ride up and down these streets and alleys.  I used to belong.  I used to sing.
        I look out the windows that are dampen by the dried raindrops sprawling all across my beloved city.  Surrounded by death we walk on, pretending to live.  We know O so well the death that lurks in our own shadows, but the willful ignorance preserves us for tomorrow.
        The glorious tomorrow.
        #
        The glare of the raging sunset is staring down the back of my neck now.
        There can never be enough heartbreak in the world to stop the love-addled fools from trying.
        #
        Authoritative voices enthrall me.  While subversion, wit, and honesty draws me in.
        This must be true for most of the people as well, judging from the fandom the likes of Thompson and Lester Bangs have attracted.  But I don’t believe what we recognize in prose as personality and spontaneity are inherent.  So how does one learn to express oneself – the stuff of heart and blood – through words?  That is the true art.  The marvelous thing about Thompson is not in his drunken escapes, but the way words and sentences gust out of him freely and sharply, that they outlined his person.
        It’s beautiful – though I doubt the man would have appreciated the girly sentiment.
        #
        Rock ‘n’ roll can’t change the world anymore.
        It has to be something new now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music festival versus textbooks

Search of the Perfect Book (I)

A