from Ted Berrigan

        Words for Love
by Ted Berrigan 
        for Sandy

        Winter crisp and the brittleness of snow
        as like make me tired as not. I go my
        myriad ways blundering, bombastic, dragged
        by a self that can never be still, pushed
        by my surging blood, my reasoning mind.

        I am in love with poetry. Every way I turn
        this, my weakness, smites me. A glass
        of chocolate milk, head of lettuce, dark-
        ness of clouds at one o’clock obsess me.
        I weep for all of these or laugh.

        By day I sleep, an obscurantist, lost
        in dreams of lists, compiled by my self
        for reassurance.   Jackson Pollock  René
        Rilke       Benedict Arnold       I watch
        my psyche, smile, dream wet dreams, and sigh.

        At night, awake, high on poems or pills
        or simple awe that loveliness exists, my lists
        flow differently. Of words bright red
        and black, and blue.  Bosky.  Oubliette.  Dis-
        severed. And O, alas

        Time disturbs me. Always minute detail
        fills me up. It is 12:10 in New York. In Houston
        it is 2 p.m. It is time to steal books! It's
        time to go mad. It is the day of the apocalypse
        the year of parrot fever! What am I saying?

        Only this. My poems do contain
        wilde beestes. I write for my Lady
        of the Lake. My god is immense, and lonely
        but uncowed. I trust my sanity, and I am proud. If
        I sometimes grow weary, and seem still, nevertheless
        my heart still loves, will break.


        To me, here and now, this poem is perfect.
       It’s just right.  Any heavier and it’d have sunk.  Any fancier and it’d have broken.  I could read it once more, and still be pleasantly surprised; not unlike the smile that alights, when folding freshly cleaned sheets on a cheerful morning.
       
        I came across Berrigan for the first time today:
        People of the future
        while you are reading these poems, remember
        you didn’t write them,
        I did.
       
        Then I bursted into laughter.  True indeed.  It must be the greatest peril of being a poet: being outshined by your work.  
But joking aside, it takes a great poet, and serendipitous circumstances, for a readers to feel so deeply as if they wrote the poem themselves; when that happens, when this miraculous bond is formed, it might be the best compliment a poet could ever ask for.
        Was this simply a humorous forward?  Or did Berrigan really think so much of himself?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music festival versus textbooks

Search of the Perfect Book (I)

A